Temporary Registration

If you are ill while away from home or if you are not registered with a doctor but need to see one you can receive emergency treatment or be seen as a temporary resident at the Practice.

You can be registered as a temporary patient for up to three months. This will allow you to be on the local practice list and still remain a patient of your permanent GP. After three months you will have to re-register as a temporary patient or permanently register with that practice.

To register as a temporary patient simply contact the local practice. Practices do not have to accept you as a temporary patient although they do have an obligation to offer emergency treatment. You cannot register as a temporary patient at a practice in the town or area where you are already registered, and we do not normally see temporary residents who are temporarily resident outwith our catchment area.

If you are away from home and you have forgotten your repeat prescription medicines you should attend the community pharmacist in the first instance who should be able to provide you with a supply of repeat prescriptions in most cases.  However, it will be necessary to see a GP about your medications if:

  • You are away from home for more than 30 days
  • You need a medicine which is not on your normal repeat prescription list
  • You need a prescription for Controlled Drugs
  • You are from outwith the UK, EEA or Switzerland


NHS ScotlandThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website